"We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Marianne Williamson

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Dining Room Reno

After the craziness of Christmas and not having much time to myself, I was busting to do something creative. Remember these canvases that I had previously covered in wallpaper? Well it turns out, my husband didn't really like them and so when he painted the walls recently, they did not find their way back. So I decided to reuse the canvases by ripping the wallpaper off and giving them a bit of paint. I used acrylics mixed with high gloss gel to give it a cool, shiny texture. I began by creating stripes using masking tape. Over and over, I moved the tape waiting for the paint to dry before replacing the tape and painting again. When the canvases were covered with different width stripes, I added detail and roughed it up a little bit before giving it a couple of coats of varnish. I was going for a bit of an abstract tree trunk look. What I thought would take me a couple of hours turned into a 4 day on and off project. Here it is:



When this was done, I woke up one morning and decided that our dining suite was too dark for the room and I wanted to lighten it up a little. After searching Pinterest and then eBay for white dining chairs, I decided that I loved the Eames style chairs (which I had never heard of before) and decided I'd look for some second hand replica ones. I found the dodgiest ad on eBay which looked like it was only for one chair. I asked the question, found out it was for 6 chairs and offered a ridiculous price which was accepted. When we got the chairs home, I looked up the brand and realised that the chairs are actually not the replicas I thought they were! They retail new for $450 each! I got all 6 for $130! Bargain of the century I reckon! The chairs are comfortable, sturdy easy-clean and pretty darn funky. I smile whenever I look at them.



So with the new white chairs, the table looked too dark. Soon, we began the big task of sanding back our dining table to the original wood look. It required numerous coats of varnish with a minimum of 24 hours drying time in between each coat. Patience was needed! Finally, it all came together. We painted the legs of the table black to attempt an industrial type look and to tie in with the black bi-fold doors. Here we go:






Last, but not least, I planted some pretty succulents in a white pot and whipped up a table runner- light grey on one side, charcoal on the other because I couldn't decide.


So there you have it. A couple of things I still need to do- get rid of the blue wall near the bifold doors and through to the kitchen- just need to choose the right colour and find a sisal rug for the space near the doors. Since we got rid of the padded, high-back chairs it's a bit echo-y in here. I don't like echo-y! A rug should fix that.

We are happy with the way this room is shaping up. Looks even better with my little family in it!


1 comment:

  1. love love love, as usual you have done an amazing job, what a natural! love your styling Bec! :-) I have a replica Eames rocker, which I LOVE, these chairs go with any decor. Big thumbs up from me.

    ReplyDelete