"We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Marianne Williamson

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Maxi-skirt

Knit fabric... hmmmmm... never sewn with it before, little bit scared, but totally willing to give it a crack. I love maxi skirts- they're totally as comfy as pyjamas and I think they look a whole lot better than shorts or pants in summer.

SO...

Look what I made today!

Thanks to Jonah my 8 year old son for taking this photo for me!
I am so excited about this new fabric option as it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for clothing for me without the fiddly installation of zippers or even buttonholes! Yes very exciting! I'm thinking shorter skirts, maxi-dresses, short dresses, scarves, headbands, chevron patterned fabric, all the colours of the rainbow etc.

If I made this again, I would add an extra inch or 2 at the bottom as it tends to ride up a little at the waist making it just a little too short for my liking. I also measured my length by myself which is a bit tricky.

I found the tutorial for this skirt here. It took me just over an hour to make from start to finish including fiddling around with my machine to install and thread a double needle which I had never done before. And you don't need an overlocker/ serger!

I would totally recommend giving this one a go!


No comments:

Post a Comment